The Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) provides funding for programs and projects defined as transportation alternatives.
Eligible activities under the TAP program consist of:
- Construction of on-road and off-road trail facilities for pedestrians, bicyclists, and other non-motorized forms of transportation, including sidewalks, bicycle infrastructure, pedestrian lighting, streetscape (combination of sidewalks, pedestrian lighting and landscaping), and other transportation projects to achieve compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- Construction of infrastructure-related projects and systems that will provide safe routes for non-drivers, including children, older adults, and individuals with disabilities to access daily needs
- Conversion and use of abandoned railroad corridors for trails for pedestrians, bicyclists, or other non-motorized transportation users
- Construction of turnouts, overlooks, and viewing areas
- Community improvement activities, including;
- Inventory, control, or removal of outdoor advertising.
- Historic preservation and rehabilitation of historic transportation facilities.
- Vegetation management practices in transportation rights-of-way to improve roadway safety prevent against invasive species, and provide erosion control.
- Archaeological activities relating to impacts from implementation of a transportation project eligible under Title 23.
- Any environmental mitigation activity, including pollution prevention and pollution abatement activities and mitigation to;
- Address storm water management, control, and water pollution prevention or abatement related to highway construction or due to highway runoff
- Reduce vehicle-caused wildlife mortality or to restore and maintain connectivity among terrestrial or aquatic habitats
Please note that ALDOT has a separate application for their TAP funding (found on ALDOT’s TAP website) and the MPO has it own application. The applications are identical, except for Attachment 2, as well as how/who to deliver the application to.
The MPO FY2018 application deadline has been extended to December 11, 2017. The ALDOT application deadline is December 15, 2017.
To download the MPO FY2018 Application click on the following link: FY 2018 TAP Application – MPO version
If you have any questions contact: