The essence of the transportation conformity is that, in non-attainment and maintenance areas, transportation plans and programs, which are financed wholly or partly with Federal-aid, will not further degrade air quality. Air Quality Conformity ensures that the Birmingham MPO’s transportation plans and programs are within the acceptable limits placed on mobile source air pollutants as identified in the State of Alabama’s air quality State Implementation Plan (SIP). Since April 2005, the Birmingham metropolitan planning area (Jefferson and Shelby with a small portion of Walker County) has been designated as an air quality non-attainment area with respect to the NAAQS for particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns in diameter, abbreviated PM2.5. The planning area is designated as a maintenance area for ground-level ozone. Non-attainment areas are the regions identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as exceeding National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS). Compliance with EPA air quality requirements is mandatory for non-attainment or maintenance areas.
2019 Air Quality Determination Report – Draft
Public Involvement Meetings were held on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 1:00 pm and 5:00 pm
PURPOSE: To obtain public comments on the 2019 Air Quality Conformity Determination Report, FY 2020-2023 Transportation Improvement Program, and the 2045 Regional Transportation Plan
PRESENTATION: Public Involvement Meeting Presentation
COMMENTS about these documents may be submitted here.
Air Quality Reports
- Amendment to FY 2016 Air Quality Determination Report and Capacity Project List – February 2019
- Air Quality Conformity Determination Report for FY2016-2019 TIP & 2040 Amended RTP Capacity Project List – September 2015
- Air Quality Conformity Determination Report for FY2012-2015 TIP & 2040 RTP
- 2009 Air Quality Conformity Determination Report for 2035 RTP + Updated 2008-2011 TIP – June, 2010 (5MB)
- Air Quality Conformity Determination Report for 24-hour PM2.5 Standard – Adopted December, 2010 (5MB)
- Air Quality Conformity Determination (AQCD) Report Final – for amended 2035 RTP + 2012-2015 TIP, adopted September 2011
- Air Quality Conformity Determination report final – adopted November 2012(5MB)
- Conformity Determination, Final Report – November, 2008 (17MB)