2045 Regional Transportation Plan
Public Involvement Meetings were held on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 12:00 pm and 5:00 pm
PURPOSE: To obtain public comments on the 2019 Air Quality Conformity Determination Report, FY 2020-2023 Transportation Improvement Program, and the 2045 Regional Transportation Plan
PRESENTATION: Public Involvement Meeting Presentation
COMMENTS about these documents may be submitted here.
2040 Regional Transportation Plan
Click the image below to download the summary of the Birmingham 2040 Regional Transportation Plan:
The Birmingham MPO is required to develop and maintain a regional transportation plan for the Birmingham metropolitan area. The Regional Transportation Plan is a long-range plan that includes a balanced mix of projects such as bridges, bicycle paths, sidewalks, transit services, new and upgraded roadways, safety improvements, transportation demand management initiatives and emission reduction strategies. In short, the RTP is a “blueprint” that guides the region’s federal transportation investments in the transportation system to reduce congestion, build new sidewalks and bicycle facilities, improve transit service and access to transit and maintain freight access over a period of several decades. The plan must be updated every five years.
The RTP recognizes that whether it is getting to work by car, biking to the store, or moving freight, transportation is the key to ensuring a high quality of life for every one of the region’s citizens. A safe, connected, and well maintained transportation system is essential to growing the economy, and connecting and moving people, goods and services.
The RTP speaks to:
- The need to combat congestion
- The need to provide connections between critical resources
- The need to protect natural resources, and;
- The need to strengthen the economy
The RTP entails many components: safety, freight, roads, bikeways, pedestrian services, public transit, alternative transportation, transportation maintenance, transportation security, the Intelligent Transportation System (which includes computerized message boards), analysis for air quality, and the forecasting of future land use.
The vision, goals, and wide-ranging policies on which the plan is based describe the major concepts that the region’s residents would like to achieve with the transportation system, and reflects local desires for travel and transportation as expressed in these communities’ adopted comprehensive and master plans. This framework lays a foundation for the kinds of plans and projects that will provide the best transportation solutions.
The RTP must be updated every four years. Amendments may be made to the plan as new projects, funding or programs arise.
2040 RTP Document
- Executive Summary
- 2040 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) Jan14-2015 – Full Document (35MB)
- Appendix A Capacity Project List for the 2040 Regional Transportation Plan
- Appendix B Active Transportation Plan
- Appendix C Freight Strategy
- Appendix D Regional Transit Plan
- Appendix E Transportation System Management and Operations
- Appendix F Existing Activity and Development Suitability Analysis
- Appendix G 2040 Regional Transportation Plan Network Modeling Support
- Appendix H Environmental Justice
If you could not attend meeting, below is the presentation:
Air Quality Conformity Report
- This report can be found on the Air Quality Conformity page.
Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP)
- This report can be found on the Transportation Improvement Plan page.
Public Involvement Documentation
- Documentation can be found on the Public Involvement page.
Amendment to 2040 RTP
2035 Regional Transportation Plan
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1 Introduction
- Chapter 2 State of the Region
- Chapter 3 RTP Goals and Objectives
- Chapter 4 Transportation System Needs Assessment
- Chapter 5 Transportation Investment Strategy (8mb)
- Appendix 5A: Activity Centers and Regional Mobility Hubs
- Appendix 5B: Non-Motorized Transportation Project Cut Sheets
- Appendix 5C: Project List of 2035 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) for the Metropolitan Planning Area (Project Listing Only)
- Appendix 5D: Project Evaluation Questionnaires and Ranking Tables
- Chapter 6 Financial Plan
- Chapter 7 Environmental Considerations
- Chapter 8 Plan Implementation and Monitoring
- Capacity Project List
Amendment to 2035 RTP
- FY-2012 Amended Capacity List of Appendix 5C
- FY-2011 Amended Capacity list of Appendix 5C
- Appendix 2035 RTP Fact Sheet